The love of a dog is a pure thing. He gives you a trust which is total. You must not betray it – Michel Houellebecq
While a lot of people insist that there’s no such thing as a pit bull and that it’s merely a convenient catch-all term used to describe American Bulldogs, Staffordshire Bull Terriers and American Staffordshire Terriers, the United Kennel Club, the American Dog Breeders Association, and the American Pit Bull Terrier would almost certainly disagree with that point of view.
Even though it isn’t officially recognized by the American Kennel Club, the American Pit Bull Terrier’s fierce sense of loyalty and devotion to the members of its family has endeared the breed to generations of owners, who couldn’t imagine their lives without a Pittie.
Pit Bulls would happily lay their lives down to protect their loved ones from harm, and it’s their intense fidelity that has helped to fuel their unnerving, and unwarranted reputation.
The truth is, Pit Bulls are friendly, energetic dogs who adore spending time with their owners, and despite everything that you’ve probably been led to believe are fantastic with children and the younger members of their human packs.
But, being a Pittie fan, you already knew that, didn’t you?
You already know how wonderful and comforting and welcome a Pittie snuggle is at the end of a long, hard day and how your boy’s zest for life is absolutely infectious and can make you smile even when the chips are well and truly down.
And that’s why you want to make sure that you get to spend as much time as you possibly can with your best pal, and want to feed him the best diet you can so that he can enjoy every second of the incredible life that he gets to spend with you.
But trying to find the best food for your best boy when there are hundreds of options to choose from can be intimidating, difficult, and in most cases, almost impossible. Where do you even begin? How do you know which food is the right one for your boy?
Take a deep breath, relax and stop worrying, as we’re here to help you make that choice.
We’re pittie fanatics and have spent most of our lives around, and in the company of these, magnificent dogs since we were in Kindergarten, and in all that time we’ve discovered a thing or two about them and what they like and don’t like, and that includes the food that makes them do a little pittie wiggle every single time their bowls are filled.
It’s time to share what we’ve learned with you, and tell you all about the best dog food that you can feed your American Pit Bull Terrier to put an extra spring in his step and a mile-wide pittie grin on his face…
Best Dog Food For Pitbulls Reviews
Most of the world might see a big old bulldog when they bump into your pittie, but you know that the only big thing about him is the size of his heart.
And in order to keep that big old heart of his in working order, he needs the sort of diet that’s been specifically designed and formulated to cater to his needs. That’s where Royal Canin comes in.
Founded by a veterinarian to ensure that every dog is fed the sort of food that they need to thrive, Royal Canin’s Medium Breed food is packed full of easy to digest proteins and fiber to promote healthy digestion and to ensure that your boy’s muscles stay lean and strong and that he has all the energy that he needs to meet every single day and adventure head-on.
Medium Breed also contains all of the anti-oxidants, prebiotics, EPA, and DHA (otherwise known as omega fatty acids) he needs to keep his immune system, skin, and coat healthy and strong.
It’s an all-in-one diet that could have been made just for American Pit Bull Terriers.
- One-Stop All-In-One Bite Size Dog Food – Royal Canin has everything that your pittie needs to stay healthy and active, and the kibble has been specially designed to be easy to chew and is the perfect size for medium dogs.
- Perfectly Balanced – Royal Canin uses a carefully crafted and perfectly balanced blend of nutrients and proteins to ensure that all medium-sized dogs, which includes your pittie, get everything that they need from every bowl full of food that they eat. And as it tastes good too, you boy will keep on coming for bowl after bowl of his new, favorite food. So it’ll be up to you to make sure that he doesn’t eat too much, because even though it’s healthy, your pitties appetite for life, and his dinner, could lead to him putting on a few pounds if you give in and let him eat as much of the Royal Canin as he’ll undoubtedly want to.
- It Isn’t Exactly Cheap – All of the goodness, science, and dietary knowledge that Royal Canin packs into every bag of their food comes at a price, and you’ll feel the full impact of that price (or rather your pocketbook will) when you hit the check out and the store assistant rings the food up. It isn’t cheap, but then you boy deserves the best, so how much does the price really matter?
Dick Van Patten wasn’t just the dad in Eight Is Enough, he was a man who adored dogs more than life itself, and it was his love for his four-legged companions, that led him to found Natural Balance, a dog food brand dedicated to making sure that every single dog in America could be fed the sort of diet that was formulated to keep them fighting fit at every stage of their long and happy lives.
Designed around a specific, and incredibly limited number of ingredients, Natural Balance was created to let you know exactly what was going into every mouthful of food that your pal eats.
It’s a protein-rich dry food that includes all of the omega fatty acids, nutrients, and amino acids that your pittie needs to stay strong, bright, and alert, and as it’s made using venison, it’s guaranteed to make your boy lick his lips in anticipation every time you fill his bowl with Natural Balance.
Natural Balance is also grain-free, so it’s easier on your boy’s digestion than a lot of other foods are, and doesn’t use any of the traditional wheat, soy, or corn packing and bulking agents that could make your dog ill.
It’s natural and it tastes good, what more does a Pit Bull need?
- Packed With Protein – Natural Balance uses venison as its primary source of protein, so as soon as your boy’s snout drops into his full bowl, it won’t emerge until that bowl has been licked clean.
- Limited Ingredients – As it uses a limited number of ingredients, you’ll know exactly what is in each and every mouthful of food that your boy eats, so you’ll be able to feed your boy with confidence knowing that he’s getting nothing but the best.
- The More Things Change, The Less They Stay The Same – Natural Balance recently changed a lot of its formulas, which led to some dogs that were fed exclusively with the brand becoming ill. If you are going to feed your boy using Natural Balance, it might be worth introducing the food gradually to see how he reacts to it and whether or not he likes it, and can, and will happily eat it.
Blue Buffalo started life in the kitchen of a family who wanted to feed their boy Blue the sort of food that would enable him to deal with his health problems and live a long and happy life.
It worked, and Blue’s family wanted to make sure that other pup parents could benefit from their recipes, which is why they founded Blue Buffalo.
Their dog food only uses natural ingredients and always makes sure that the first thing that goes into every recipe is real meat, which provides the protein your boy’s body needs to maintain lean, strong muscles, and the combination of fruit and vegetables maintains the healthy balance that your pittie require to stay active and be happy.
The lack of artificial bulking materials and the abundance of minerals, vitamins, and calcium in Blue Buffalo makes sure that every mouthful of this dog food has been made with love and with one purpose in mind.
To help your best friend to live the best life that he possibly can with the people he loves the most.
- You Want Meat? You Got It – It’s all about protein with Blue Buffalo, which is why the first ingredient in all of their recipes is always real meat. And that protein combined with the wholesome grains and Omega Three and Six fatty acids that every Blue Buffalo recipe includes makes sure that your pittie will be filled to overflowing with all of the energy that he needs to race through life.
- The Secret Ingredient – Every Blue Buffalo recipe also includes their patented LifeSource Bits which are a carefully created blend of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals that were designed by holistic veterinarians and dieticians. In other words, they’re incredibly good for your boy and were formulated to help him to stay active and healthy at every stage of his life.
- Change Isn’t Necessary – Blue Buffalo like a lot of other natural dog food brands appears to have recently changed their recipes, which has made some of their devoted four-legged fans ill, so again if you’re tempted to change your boy’s diet to an exclusive Blue Buffalo one, it might making the transition slowly instead of charging straight into it.
Inside every dog there’s a wolf just waiting to be let out, to run free, howl at the moon, and frolic and play with their pack until the sun rises and the day begins in earnest.
And Taste of the Wild is a natural, dry dog food that’s been formulated to replicate the ancestral duet of canines and encourage that hidden wolf to venture forth and make himself known every once in a while.
At least, that’s what the publicity spiel sort of says, but in truth, it’s just a great dog food that uses a combination of unique proteins that are guaranteed to make your pittie salivate with joy and excitement as soon as he hears the bag being torn open.
After all, what pittie doesn’t want to sink their teeth into a bowlful of bison and venison?
And if the protein wasn’t enough to tempt you and your pittie, the combination of nutrient and vitamin-rich superfoods and fruits, that are also saturated in Omega fatty acids to keep your boys coat shiny and skin healthy that Taste of the Wild uses, should be enough to make you want it to add it to your pals daily menu.
- Rich And Varied Protein – Given the source of protein that Taste of the Wild uses in their food, the last thing that your pittie will ever be is bored by his diet. He’ll look forward to every bowl, and when he does finish eating, he’ll try to persuade you to fill his bowl again. And again and again, so you’ll have to box cleverly at mealtime and make sure that he only gets a single bowlful.
- Superfoods And Fruits – All of the rich protein in every Taste of the Wild recipe is balanced with a combination of superfoods and fruit which supply all of the fatty acids, vitamins, and minerals that your dog needs to bounce into every single day with the same energy and enthusiasm that he had when he was still a puppy.
- It’s A Health Thing – There was a rumor that the FDA had linked Taste of the Wild with chronic heart disease among dogs, but whether or not that was true, or how substantial the evidence was, and the origin of said rumor seems to be something of a mystery. Unfortunately, mud sticks and the brand seems to have been dogged (pardon the pun) by the rumor which for some unknown reason, refuses to go away.
Canidae has a simple credo that guides everything that they do. Every single one of their recipes has been crafted and formulated with one specific goal in mind, to create the healthiest food possible for your dog.
How do they do that? They do it by ensuring that the first thing they include in all of their food is real meat. And with the protein in place, they get to work and make the sort of irresistible, tasty food that every dog loves.
Every Canidae recipe is grain-free and uses less than ten ingredients, so the incredibly potent mix of fatty acids, minerals, and vitamins is produced by a powerful combination of the right ingredients in exactly the right quantities.
It might seem like we’re waxing superlative about Canidae, and that’s probably because we are, as this is our pitties’ food of choice and the one that they’ll always sit down and wait for like the good boys that they are.
There are no hidden extras, no bulking and packing agents, and nothing that could possibly make your dog ill in any Canidae recipe.
It’s just wholesome, natural dog food that’s been made with your boy in mind. And that’s probably why our pitties prefer it to anything else that we’ve ever tried to feed them.
- Meat First, Everything Else Second – Whether you want to admit it or not, your pittie is a carnivore and the thing that they like most in the world, to eat at least, is meat. Canidae knows this and that’s why all of their food is rich in protein so that your pittie will be drawn to it like a moth to a flame.
- Limited Ingredients – Because every single Canidae recipe uses less than ten ingredients, you’ll know exactly what goes into every bowl of your best friend’s dinner and what they’re eating at all times. It’s healthy, it’s nutritious and your pittie will absolutely adore it.
- It Isn’t All Good News – While your pittie will love Canidae, you might not be so keen on it as your pocketbook will scream in protest every single time you need to buy a new batch.It isn’t what you’d call the most affordable food on the market, but as your dog will adore it, are you really worried about how much it will end up costing you?
Which Dog Food Is The Best One For My Pit Bull Terrier?
Any of the foods on our list are all ideal for your Pit Bull and have been formulated and designed to cater to all the breed’s needs.
However, if we had to choose just one, we’d always go with the food that our pitties like best, and that’s the Canidae Pure. It’s the Pit Bull’s dinner of choice.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is An American Pit Bull Terrier?
An American Pit Bull Terrier is a medium-sized dog that is noted for its loyalty and devotion to its family, being an ideal companion for children, and for being far more likely to smother you with kisses and licks than ever show any sign of aggression.
Despite the negative press surrounding the breed, they make excellent family dogs and have an obsessive need to please their owners and protect their loved ones and the members of their “pack”