My Dog Ate Candle Wax. What Should I Do?

Candles are a wonderful addition to any home’s decor. The scents of tropical, coconut, and smores are just a few of the options. 

Dogs have a tendency to get their paws into anything, including candle wax. In the majority of cases, dogs ingesting a small amount of candle wax will not suffer much, if any, consequences. 

But there are some types of waxes and scents that are toxic to dogs, especially when they consume a large amount of them at once, so be cautious when using these products. 

There are also a few significant points to keep in mind if you ever find your dog consuming candle wax. 

Look at what types of wax are toxic to dogs, as well as what you should do if your dog ingests candle wax out of curiosity or boredom.

My Dog Ate Candle Wax. What Should I Do?

Wax Toxicity

In the majority of cases, the wax will not be harmful to your dog. In fact, many beekeepers enjoy eating the wax that accumulates in their hives as a snack. 

In the majority of cases, pure wax is not an issue. If the wax contains any additives, on the other hand, it can become hazardous very quickly. 

If your candle is a bright color such as pink, purple, or black, keep a close eye on your dog to avoid any accidents. 

If your dog is not exhibiting signs of illness and only consumed a small amount, everything should be fine. 

However, if it ate more than a teaspoon or two, it could cause a blockage in its bowels, which can result in the following possibility below.

Bowel Obstruction

If your dog consumes more than a few teaspoons of wax, it may experience bowel obstruction. 

This can cause grave problems and may even necessitate the need for surgery on your dog’s part. 

This occurs for various reasons; including Initially, this is due to wax melting and conforming to the bowels, resulting in it settling in a bent position. 

The other reason is that it does not melt but instead becomes lodged in the intestines and causes obstruction. 

This can result in pressing dilemmas such as intestinal bleeding, pain, and other symptoms. 

In the event that your dog has not eaten, has not gone to the bathroom, or will not drink any water, it is critical that you take your dog to the veterinarian as soon as possible.

Scent Dangers

As previously stated, most of the time, the wax will not be harmful unless it has been colored or if the dog consumes more than a few teaspoons of the substance. 

Scents, on the other hand, can be a safety hazard. Some scents contain toxic chemicals that release a strong smell when they are melted, which is why they are so popular. 

There is no doubt that these chemicals can be harmful to dogs. 

Once a dog consumes a scented candle, the scent can be absorbed into the bloodstream, causing severe adverse effects such as lethargy, irritability, nausea, and other symptoms. 

Fortunately, because of government regulations, the majority of candles do not contain toxic chemicals. 

However, candles made at home or that have not been approved by the government may pose a greater threat.

The Wick

While the use of wax, coloring, and scents can be hazardous, the use of a wick can also be dangerous. 

Wicks are made of strong string, which can become entangled in a dog’s intestines if it is not used properly. 

This can cause the intestines to become clogged, making it impossible for anything to pass through them properly. 

Furthermore, the wick has the ability to wrap around specific areas of the intestines, effectively tying them together. 

This is, without a doubt, a very bad thing that can happen. If your dog has eaten a wick of any kind, it is highly recommended that you take them to the veterinarian right away. 

If it has already been more than 36 hours, look for signs of constipation, which brings us to our final reason for being sick.

Constipation

Extreme constipation can result from the combination of wax, coloring, scents, and wick used in candle making. 

This will result in symptoms such as constipation, nausea, vomiting, bloating, and other discomforts. It has the potential to cause watery diarrhea in some dogs. 

If something becomes lodged in the intestine, it will only permit liquids to pass through. 

If you discover that this is the case, take your dog to an emergency veterinarian as soon as possible. 

Dogs may not always show signs of illness, so it’s essential to keep a close eye on their bowel movements, frequency, and bowel movement structure that results from them.

What Vet’s May Do

Induce Vomiting

If your dog has consumed a candle, your veterinarian may recommend that you induce vomiting. 

This is not always the case, especially if your dog ingested the wax more than twenty-four hours previously. 

However, if your dog has eaten wax within the last day, it may still be lodged in its stomach. 

It is possible that causing vomiting will allow the dog to vomit the wax out of its stomach, allowing it to return to normal health and function.

X-Ray

If your veterinarian is unsure of the location of the wax or the extent of the damage it has caused, an X-Ray may be performed to demonstrate the extent of the damage, if any. 

This will enable the veterinarian to pinpoint the wax and determine whether it is preferable to wait it out or perform surgery. 

Generally, a dog can pass a small amount of wax through its intestines without difficulty. 

However, if there is a significant amount of wax, surgery may be necessary.

Bowel Surgery

Dogs that have consumed an unusually large amount of wax may require bowel obstruction surgery to remove the obstruction. 

This is beneficial in removing large pieces of food that are unable to pass through the intestines. 

There are risks involved, but veterinarians are trained to deal with these types of situations. 

As a matter of fact, it’s probably much more common than you’d expect. It seems as though dogs are constantly consuming things that they should not be ingesting.

Takeaway

In the vast majority of cases, dogs that have consumed candle wax will be able to pass it through their regular bowel movements with little to no harm. 

A threat may arise from candles that contain toxins, toxic scents, or a combination of these. 

Because it can be challenging to determine whether or not a candle is toxic, consult with your veterinarian first. 

After that, look for the company number on the back of the candle to determine whether or not it contains toxic ingredients. 

Keep a particularly close eye on the dog if it has eaten candle wax, regardless of the circumstances.



Written by Brian Rucker

Brian Rucker has been a dog lover since childhood. He has had his Lab Mix with Hound for over 10+ years now! They enjoy playing outdoors together. Brian loves sharing his knowledge about all things dog on this website. Read more of Brian's articles.